How to order your Michigan criminal record


Actual Image of Michigan Application to Set Aside/Expunge Conviction (MC227)

There are several reasons that you might need to know how to obtain your criminal record. You might need to obtain your criminal record to accurately fill out an application for employment or college. An attorney may want to do a background check if you are under a criminal investigation or being charged with a criminal matter. In addition, upon filing an expungement, an attorney is required to request the criminal history of the applicant.

How to order a copy of your criminal record

Criminal records are maintained by various private agencies that collect information. Criminal records are also maintained by the Michigan State Police (MSP) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The following procedure will guide you to search for your criminal history records for expungement, employment/education applications, visa, immigration, personal records check or adoption (fingerprints are required). Individuals requesting their own criminal history receive all data (public and nonpublic):

Requesting your criminal record from the Michigan State Police: You can request your Michigan criminal record from the Michigan State Police by following the steps provided on the MSP website.  You will need a credit card to order a criminal record.

Steps to obtain criminal history for expungements: For certain cases, such as expungement, name change and adoption, the process for an individual to obtain his or her criminal history will require a few more steps. The attorney handling the case will usually provide this service.

  • First, the individual must obtain 2 sets of fingerprints (Michigan Applicant Fingerprint card RI-008) from his or her local police or sheriff department.
  • The fingerprint card must be completed entirely.
  • A money order or check in the amount of $50.00, payable to the State of Michigan, application is required.
  • Mail a copy of the application packet (first class mail), application fee, and the fingerprint cards to the Michigan State Police, Criminal Justice Information Center – Criminal History, PO Box 30266, Lansing, Michigan 48909.
  • Allow 3 to 5 weeks for processing and mail delivery for the Michigan criminal history record search.

Links to resources to obtain records: Use the following links for instructions to obtain your Michigan Criminal Record, FBI record and Michigan driving record:

What if my record contains a mistake or inaccurate information?

When problems occur and a person’s record contains incorrect information, it may take some steps to get the record fixed. The following are examples of inaccuracies that could appear on a criminal record:

  • Criminal charges were dropped but the incident or arrest continues to appear on the record.
  • Criminal charges were expunged or dismissed pursuant to HYTA but not removed from the record.
  • The record contains an entry that a warrant was requested but no warrant was ever approved.
  • The record does not contain accurate information as to the final charge, such as a felony being dropped down to a misdemeanor.
  • A crime is reported on the wrong person’s record because of a similar name or gross error by a clerk.

An inaccurate entry on your record can hurt you in many ways. If you find yourself in this position, you first need to determine the agency or department that is responsible for the improper information. The following agencies are responsible for entering correct information on an individual’s criminal record with the Michigan State Police: law enforcement/police, prosecuting attorney, court system or Michigan State Police. It may only take one phone call or appointment to get the record fixed. You may need to go a step further and obtain a copy of your file from the police or the court to uncover the error.  You can order your file with a Freedom of Information Act request. If you have documentation that resolves the mistaken data entries, you may fax it to the

Certain information survives even after it is dismissed or expunged

You may be dismayed to find out that a criminal record can surface and  be seen even after a case is dropped, expunged or dismissed. A case that is dismissed under certain statutes is suppose be sealed from any public view. If a case is dismissed pursuant to HYTA, 7411 or it is expunged pursuant to MCL 780.621, the law states that it becomes sealed from public view and it is as though it never happened. However, the following entities are given special status and may view non-public records for cases that have been dismissed, expunged and sealed: governmental agencies, police agencies, the court system and various sensitive businesses in health care or that handle government contracts.

Contact Information